Names are more than just a collection of sounds we string together to call someone.
They often hold special meanings, carrying with them the weight of centuries of stories and traditions.
In this blog post, we take a look at some names that mean saved, rescued, or savior.
These names represent hope and redemption, two things that are always in high demand.
Whether you’re looking for a name for your child or simply want to learn more about these powerful meanings, read on for some insightful and inspiring examples.`
Girl Names That Mean Saved, Rescued
1. Adalbjorg- Is a derivative of the Old Norse elements, aoal which means ‘noble’ and bjorg, which means ‘help’, ‘save’ and ‘rescue’. It also means ‘nobel’ in Icelandic language.
2. Fadia- Fadia is of Arabic and Persian origin. It is a well-known Arabic name given to Muslim girls. Its meanings are, ‘Savior’, ‘one who sacrifices herself to help others’, ‘heroic’ and ‘gallant’.
3. Gunborg- The name is of Swedish origin, from the Old Norse Gunnbjorg. It is derived from the elements gunnr meaning ‘war’ and bjorg meaning to ‘help’, ‘save’ and ‘rescue’.
4. Hashna- Hashna hails from Celtic and it has different meanings which include ‘pretty’, ‘happiness’ ‘brave’, ‘strong’ and ‘Savior’.
5. Hola- This name is said to be of different origins such as from Africa, Spanish and Native America. It is commonly used for girls and its African meaning is ‘Savior’.
6. Ratchika- Ratchika is generally perceived to be a feminine name. It is of Indian origin, and commonly used by those of the Hindu religion. It means, ‘Protector’ or ‘Savior’.
RELATED: Names meaning answered prayers
7. Ragnbjorg- A feminine name derived from the Old Norse name Ingibjorg. Bjorg means ‘to help’, ‘save’ and ‘rescue’. Its other meanings are, ‘wise protector’ and ‘advice’.
8. Salbatora- A common name of Spanish lineage. It is generally considered to be for girls. It means ‘Savior’.
9. Salvadora- Salvadora is a name of Spanish heritage that is generally considered to be a feminine name. It means ‘Savior’.
10. Salvatora- A name generally considered for girls and is of Spanish ancestry. It means ‘She is the Savior’.
11. Xalbadora- This is a common female name of Spanish origin, commonly used by the Christian religion. Its meaning is ‘savior’.
Boys Names That Mean Saved, Rescued
1. Elikai- A common Christian baby boy name from Hebrew heritage. Its meanings include ‘God is my Savior’ and ‘God is my Salvation’.
2. Eliseo- Eliseo is a name of both Italian and Spanish origins. It is generally considered to be a male given name which means ‘God is my salvation’.
3. Elisha- A rare biblical Hebrew baby boy name that means ‘God is my savior’. It is a contracted form of Elishu’a which means ‘my God is salvation’.
4. Gaizka- A male given name from the Basque lineage. It means ‘Savior’. Similar names are Salvador and Jesus.
5. Hosea- A popular masculine Biblical name from Hebrew lineage which means ‘Salvation’. Hosea was the name of an 8th-century prophet in the bible.
6. Hoshea- Hoshea is a Biblical name derived from the Hebrew name Hoshe’a which means ‘Salvation’. Hoshea’s meanings include ‘Savior’ and ‘Safety’.
7. Isaiah- Isaiah comes from the Hebrew phrase Yesha’yahu. It is a Biblical male given name from the Old Testament. It means ‘God saves’.
8. Jesus- Jesus is derived from the Hebrew name Yeshua whose meanings include, ‘to deliver’ and ‘to rescue’ Jesus has several meanings e.g., ‘Savior’, ‘Yahweh saves’ and ‘Jehovah is salvation’.
9. Joshua- It comes from the Hebrew name Yehoshua which has several meanings such as ‘God is deliverance’, ‘may Jehovah help him’, ‘Yahweh is salvation’ or ‘God is Salvation’.
10. Misham- Misham is of both Biblical and Arabic origin. Some of its meanings are, ‘Their Savior’, ‘Taking away’, and ‘Cleansing’.
11. Naaji- The name Naaji is a boy’s name of Arabic origin that is used by the Muslim religion. Its meanings include ‘saved’ and ‘useful’ or ‘beneficial’.
12. Nagpal- A masculine name of Indian heritage, mostly used by those who are Hindu by religion. It originally means ‘Savior of the serpent’.
SEE ALSO: Baby names that mean God-given
13. Najjad- An Arabic Muslim name generally considered to be for boys. Its meanings include, ‘rescuer’, and ‘savior’.
14. Oshea- A variant of the name Joshua. It is of Hebrew lineage and some of its meanings include, ‘Yahweh is Salvation’ and ‘Saved by God’.
15. Ozias- A male given and uncommon name from Greek lineage. It means ‘Salvation’, ‘my power is Yahweh’ and ‘strength from the Lord’.
16. Pedahzur- Pedahzur is a Biblical name from the Old Testament. It’s a common name for boys and its meanings include, ‘Strong or powerful Savior’ and ‘Stone of redemption’.
17. Salvino- Salvino is a Spanish name with relation to the Latin name Salvador. It is commonly considered to be a male given name that means ‘Savior’.
18. Salvatore- It’s primarily a male given name of Italian heritage. It means ‘Savior’.
19. Servaas- Servaas is the Dutch form of the Latin name Servatius, derived from servatus which means ‘Saved’, ‘redeemed’, ‘rescued’ and ‘to preserve’.
20. Sosthenes- It is of both Greek and Hebrew origin. Its meanings include ‘Safe strength’, ‘Savior’, ‘Strong’ and ‘Powerful’. Sosthenes is perceived to be a male given name.
21. Spas- Spas is a masculine name of Bulgarian descent. It is derived from the Bulgarian word, spasen, which means ‘saved’. This name is commonly used by Christians.
22. Wanikiy- Wanikiy originates from Native America. It is perceived to be a male name whose meaning is ‘Savior’. Wanikiy is mainly popular in the Christian religion.
23. Xabat- Xabat is a name of both Spanish and Basque origin. It’s generally considered to be a boy’s name whose meanings include ‘Savior’ and ‘Rescuer’.
POPULAR: Names that mean God’s Promise
24. Xalvador- It is a derivative of the Latin name Salvator which means ‘the Savior’ or ‘The one who saves’. Xalvador is a name given to boys.
25. Chesus- Chesus is a boy’s name that hails from the Aragon region in Spain. It means ‘savior’. This name is more commonly referred to as Jesus.
Unisex Names That Mean Saved, Rescued
1. Elisha- A rare biblical Hebrew baby name that means ‘God is my savior’. It is a contracted form of Elishu’a which means ‘my God is salvation’.
2. Jace- Jace is the diminutive of the name Jason. It is a popular Christian name that means ‘The Lord is Salvation’ in Hebrew and ‘healer’ in Greek.
3. Sal- The name Sal has got different origins including Italy, England, Hebrew and Spain. Its Italian meaning is ‘Savior’ or ‘rescuer’ and ‘princess’ in Hebrew.
4. Sela- This name has several different origins such as from Africa, Greek and Hebrew. It is a gender-neutral name in Africa which means ‘Savior’, ‘the moon’ in Greek and ‘rock’ in Hebrew.
Final Thoughts on Names Meaning Saved, Rescued or Savior
This article provides a list of names that mean saved, rescued, or savior.
If you are looking for a name that embodies hope and protection, one of these names might be perfect for your child.
If you’re looking for more names with a similar vibe consider checking out our post on names meaning redeemed or redemption.